Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Paris Day 1






Yes, today is day 1-arriving at 8 pm last night doesn't count. The owner of the apt.met us here and gave us a quick overview of how everything works. Washing machine and dryer in one? Never heard of it-takes 3 hours to do a miniscule load-kids running out of clean clothes. Finally went to bed at 1 am and it still wasn't done. Up this morning at 6:30 and the clothes were still damp. Looks like Patrick has figured it out. It's good to have an engineer in the family:)
Kids are finally sleeping in. Patrick and I walked around the neighborhood in search of a supermarche. Naturally it was at the other end, but we found a nice boulangerie and cafe along the way with the Parisienne parents rushing their enfants off to school. I did buy the kids real butter croissants so they have that to look forward to when they get up.
At the supermarche I made sure to buy Nutella. Juliette looked skeptical, until she tastes it. Mmm, Nutella and crepes-these kids are spoiled!
We did finally manage to get out of the apt and walked over to the Arc de Triomphe and the Champs Elysees-so crowded and full of tourists-we fit right in. A lady turned to me and asked me if I spoke English. She was so sweet I was happy to assure her that yes, I spoke English. She then handed me a card with her sad story written out-10 other women tried to accost me the rest of the day with the same story-you can only fool me once though.
We took the Metro over to La Tour Eiffel. Waited in line for 45 minutes and ate baguettes while waiting. The kids and Patrick went to the top as I tried to ward off the millions of men selling key chains of the Eiffel Tower and scarves that say Paris. Just before they came down there was a scuffle and cops on bicycles ran after one of the sellers-10 guys were running from the cops but they only wanted the one guy-they got their man and the rest of the family caught the show.
While they were upstairs looking at the view I met a couple from New York-it was fun chatting in english!
Ate dinner at home and then we all pooped out. More tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for all of the updates! It sounds great there! Wow! Keep sending the updates!!! I miss you, but I'm not so selfish that I wish you were here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm....a real butter croissant with Nutella. (drool)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss you all and wish you were here. You can drool over the food-it is really is fantastic!real butter....

    ReplyDelete